Child Arrangements Orders

child arrangement orderIt is not always possible for separating couples to agree on the future care of their children. Making child arrangements does not form part of a divorce settlement in England and Wales so in cases where parents cannot agree it may be necessary to apply to the Court for a Child Arrangement Order (CAO).  A CAO will formalise how a child is to be cared for, where they should live, and how much they should see of their non-resident parent.

Parents should explore all options before taking the step of going to Court. They should seek to come to an amicable agreement as to how best to manage the care of their children, putting any personal feelings of animosity aside in the interests of their children. This is not always possible and so the parties should seek expert legal advice. They may seek the help of a professional Mediator to come to an agreement. A Mediator is independent and impartial and will offer sound, un-biased, advice on the options available.

Finally, if going to Court to obtain a Child Arrangement Order is the only solution. It will be the Court which decides who will be the primary carer of any children, and also the amount of contact they should have with the other parent. At this difficult time having a Family Law Solicitor at your side can be invaluable in guiding you through the legal jargon, completing forms, replying to letters, and understanding the court process. And their experience and knowledge can greatly improve the outcome for their client and their children.

Contact a family law solicitor on 01727 869293 or use the contact form below to  ask a question alternatively, book an appointment online.

Don't miss a post:

Subscribe to our quarterly newsletter
Like us on LinkedIn
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook

Contact Us

    When you send an enquiry you are giving your consent to receive marketing emails from Bretherton Law. We promise we won't bombard you with SPAM emails, or sell your information to someone else and you can unsubscribe at any time.

    Do you consent to receive marketing information from Bretherton Law?