WORKING FOR US
Bretherton Law prides itself on its commitment to its people – many of whom have worked for the firm for a very long time! A career with us will enable you to reach your potential.
Bretherton Law has an enviable reputation in St Albans and south-west Herts for our professionalism and commitment to meeting the needs of our clients. The firm has been in business in the city since 1965, having been set up by Jeremy Bretherton as a sole practitioner. Jeremy retired in 1998 and the business is now run by Sandra Bradley, who has herself been with the firm since 1986.
We are proud of our independence as a stand-alone business and encourage all our staff to think and act for themselves. With this individual responsibility comes greater job satisfaction. We are a small, friendly team with a positive outlook and we are keen to demonstrate this in our dealings with clients.
We are a Lexcel-accredited business, which focuses our attention on exemplary case management and financial controls, as well as professionalism in our dealings with clients. You won’t see our name across double-page spreads in the local newspapers – we prefer to let our name and reputation do the talking for us, with much of our business coming from client recommendations and word of mouth.
So if you want to work for an independent-minded business, which encourages individuals to test themselves and take responsibility, helping them to grow as people, team members and legal professionals at the same time, then drop us an email explaining what you can add to our firm. We’re always happy to hear from you.
Full Time Legal Secretary or Paralegal for our Residential Property team
Based in central St Albans, Bretherton Law has been serving the people of Hertfordshire for over fifty years. The firm deals with a range of residential and commercial conveyancing matters including the sale and purchase of properties, remortgaging and the acquisition and disposal of land, plots and units. We hold CQS and Lexcel accreditations.
This full-time role consists of administrative and secretarial support including:
- filing and processing correspondence and forms;
- administrative duties, including opening and closing files, photocopying, inputting data and updating information on the firm’s case-management system;
- organising diaries;
- speaking to clients and agents on the phone;
- drafting Contract packs;
- setting up files for completion including drafting straightforward TR1s, applying for Land Registry and Land Charges searches;
- completing AP1s and submitting applications through the Land Registry portal;
- assisting with billing;
- some audio and copy-typing letters, emails and documents;
- and dealing with any other tasks arising on files as necessary.
Additionally, the secretary/paralegal will be required to provide ad-hoc assistance to other solicitors within the department and firm and to assist with covering Reception/the phones when needed.
The successful applicant will:
– be an experienced Residential Property secretary or paralegal;
– be able to work independently and as part of the team where necessary;
– be a confident communicator, able to build and maintain relationships with clients;
– be enthusiastic, dedicated and flexible;
– be happy and able to help in other roles in the firm when required, such as helping out on Reception or supporting and assisting colleagues; and
– be focussed on delivering a high quality and timely service to clients.
Full Time Family Solicitor
We are looking for a Full time Family solicitor specialising in child care proceedings, and with membership of the Law Society’s Children Panel, to join our busy child law department. Our team act for children, parents and other family members
The successful candidate will:
- be a Solicitor with 5 years PQE
- be, or be about to be , a Children Panel member with some client following
- enjoy advocacy and be willing and able to represent clients in court
- be conscientious and compassionate
- be able to conduct their own matters from start to finish with the support of administrative staff
- be familiar with Legal Aid Agency application and billing processes
- be willing and able to supervise other solicitors’ matters when necessary
- be a confident communicator, able to build and maintain relationships with clients and professionals
- have experience in marketing and business development;
- be enthusiastic, dedicated and flexible; and
- be focussed on delivering a high quality and timely service to clients.